Nyack, N.Y. September 3, 2015-Montefiore Nyack Hospital Home Care has received four stars from the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS) Home Health Compare Quality of Patient Care Star Ratings. A 4-star rating means the agency performed better than other agencies on nine measured care practices and outcomes. Across the country, most agencies receive 3 or 3 ½ stars, according to CMS. The New York State average is 3.
“Only 16% of the 127 New York State-rated Home Health Agencies received a 4- or 5-star rating. Receiving a 4-star rating is reflective of the excellent care Montefiore Nyack Hospital Home Care provides to our patients,” said Maureen Fallon, RN, MPA, Administrator of Home Care for Montefiore Nyack Hospital. “I am extremely proud of our staff and their commitment to caring for the patients we are privileged to serve.”
CMS published the ratings of home health agencies for the first time this summer. They are designed to help consumers compare and choose among home health agencies.
The quality measures take into account:
- How often the home health team began their patients’ care in a timely manner.
- How often the home health team made sure that their patients have received a flu shot for the current flu season.
- How often the home health team taught patients (or their family caregivers) about their prescribed drugs.
- How often home health patients got better at walking or moving around.
- How often home health patients got better at getting in and out of bed
- How often home health patients had less pain when moving around.
- How often home health patients got better at bathing.
- How often home health patients’ breathing improved.
- How often home health patients had to be admitted to the hospital.
The new Home Health Compare Quality of Patient Care Star Ratings will be updated each quarter as more recent data become available. More information about Home Health Compare can be found at: https://www.medicare.gov/homehealthcompare/search.html.
Since 1979, Montefiore Nyack Hospital Home Care, a New York State Medicare Certified Home Health Agency, has been providing a variety of professional and support services for sick and disabled individuals, requiring care by a registered nurse or therapist. Under the supervision of a patient's physician, the home care team facilitates a patient's return to health in the familiar and reassuring surroundings of their own home. Services are provided for residents of Rockland County. For further information about home care services, call 845.638.8717.